HMRC has now started writing to certain taxpayers to let them know if they owe or are owed tax under the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system. From Tuesday 7 September, letters will be delivered to some households as part of a normal annual process.
It is possible that fraudsters may try to take advantage of the situation.
- HMRC are contacting individuals affected by post ONLY
- check the letter - are there spelling errors or poor grammar?
- you will not be contacted by phone or email
- you will not be asked to send bank details or any other personal information to anyone
- tax rebates will be refunded by cheque sent directly to you via the post
- HMRC will take money through the PAYE system. You will not be expected to send cash or cheque
- if in ANY doubt, visit HMRC's website at or call them on 0845 3000 627.
Please note: Action Fraud is not responsible for the content on external websites.
To report a fraud, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use our online fraud reporting tool.