Payment fraud is any fraud that involves falsely creating or diverting payments.
Payment fraud can include:
- creating bogus customer records and bank accounts so that false payments can be generated
- intercepting and altering payee details and amounts on cheques and Payable Orders, then attempting to cash them
- creating false payment and financial information to support fraudulent claims for benefits
- processing false claims by accomplices for benefits, grants or repayments
- self authorising payments to oneself.
If fraud has been committed, report it to Action Fraud.