The National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) have identified a trend in consumers being targeted for investment opportunities in physical storage space.
A new commodity is being offered as an investment to members of the public, this new commodity is storage space. The method used by fraudsters is very similar to that of a boiler room scam.
Common features include members of the public being:
- Cold called by forceful sales personnel offering an opportunity to invest in storage space.
- Promised a high return on their investment for a worthless or non-existent investment.
Members of the public should be aware of the following:
- Callers often offer further investment opportunities which they also claim reap high returns.
- Additional investment opportunities typically (although not exclusively) relate to carbon credits, gold, wine, rare earth metals and nanotechnology.
- Post investment the consumer will often find it difficult to contact the investment company to discuss their investment or reap any financial returns.
- Some consumers may receive initial dividend payouts but in the long term the investment may result in substantial financial loss.
To report a fraud and receive a police crime reference number, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use our online fraud reporting tool.